Skip to main content

Bb World - Mobile Strategy and Hybrid Course Development

I focused on two tracks at Blackboard world, mobile and development, specifically developing hybrid courses since we're moving towards the DL Project Charter for KS. I tried my best to immerse myself in the mobile experience by relying on my phone to capture my sessions and using the Bb World mobile app to find my sessions and my way around. Overall, it was a pretty painless experience although I can't type quite as fast on the on-screen keyboard :). I used Evernote to capture and organize my session notes and it worked out great because it's now synced to my online account and I can pull it up anywhere.

Mobile Track - I attended three sessions that focused on Mobile technology. One session that was particularly helpful was the corporate session on strategy. The presentation was not only organized but also made me think about how we want to movie into this realm, not only with courses (which actually didn't get focused on as much) but more as an organization. They talked about how some organizations start building a lot of applications, separately, without coming up with one strategy of how they can all become part of one application for enhancing the user experience whether that be students or staff. More info here: http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Mobile/Services/Blackboard-Mobile-Strategy.aspx

Course Development - Faculty Training - There were two sessions that I attended that gave me ideas for how to train teachers to build hybrid courses. One was from the University of Maryland. The session was focused on adaptive release but what I really got out of it was the system that the presenter uses to move faculty through the training process with minimal coordination on her end. It's a step-by-step process that they go through and they get put into a cohort when the complete the steps. I also liked that they had to do a presentation on what they completed, I thought of a hō‘ike type of situation, where they would present to their department head. I thought it was a nice tie in to bring in their supervisor to see what they had done. More info here: http://www.umbc.edu/oit/hybrid/about/
The other presentation that I attended was the session that Kelly shared with Jeffco. I went to support Kelly but was pleasantly surprised that they had a lot of good information to share on how they conduct professional development. Particularly the templates they use to get faculty thinking about course development. More info: http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/online_pd/index.php

Archived Sharing: http://elearn.ksbe.edu/p97594372/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schools of the Future: Acquiring and Representing Knowledge

This year's Schools of the Future conference was an information-rich event. When we think of the future, more than a few of us probably also think of technology. That association certainly carries over in the interpretation of the conference title Schools of the Future . Indeed, many topics besides educational technology were covered; however, the technological advances were a strong highlight at the conference in my view. As mentioned in one of Cassie's previous posts , there are online classes everywhere. The first few links on my list reference ways to learn on your own (i.e., ways to acquire knowledge). The second set of links refer to ways of representing knowledge. **Note:  All icons link to the affiliated website.  Academic Earth has hundreds of free online lectures from prominent university professors, including Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, The University of Houston, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Michigan State, Princeton, Rice, UCLA, UCSF, and the list

Geotagging

A "wouldn't it be nice" idea that's been around a while is the ability to tag a map with images that are linked to more information about the site. Kelly C suggested it as a way for students to share knowledge about a cultural/historic site or the geographic area they live in with classmates. (right, no addresses!) There are now cameras and even storage media that embed latitude and longitude into images as they are shot. But you don't need fancy new toys to do this. I tried Flickr's geotagging map and it's fun and supereasy. Want to try it? Log in to Flickr http://www.flickr.com Sign in as " techedine " password " wist101 " yea, corny. Click the " You " tab then the " Your Photostream > Map " or Organize > Your Map links. Click the Satellite link in the upper right. Cool view! (you may need Google Satellite downloaded). Images along the bottom of the screen with colored dots have already been droppe

Zoho Creator

I thought I’d share this web application I came across in my quest to find a relatively simple app to help us manage our mentoring data in the DL Orientation. Our specific needs were that it be a free online database, password protected, had the capability of rapid form development without too much programming knowledge and was easy for the end user to use. The application that met these requirements was Zoho Creator ( http://www.zohocreator.com/ ) a part of a suite of online applications including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, wikis, organizers and more. What’s great about Zoho Creator is that they have an online repository of applications already developed that you can download to your account and use for free. Initially, I tried some of these applications, but it was overkill for our needs. Zoho Creator can do a lot if you know programming and they have a pay model where it allows you more flexibility and features. I think Zoho Creator would be a useful tool for both