Skip to main content

ISTE Conference, June 23-26, 2013, San Antonio


At the Alamo
 Howdy y'all!  This was my first time going to the ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) conference, and it was amazing!  Mahalo KS for this great experience!  :)






They said there were over 20,0000 people, so imagine all of the madness!  Here are a couple of pics to show the scale of this thing.

Keynote Ballroom - You can't see the line behind us, but it was like Disneyland to get into the keynote.

Vendors - Sensory overload

There were so many sessions, and I haven't even begun to reflect on what I learned and what I hope to incorporate. But, I'll just talk about two sessions that I really liked.

Opening Keynote: The Epic Win - Jane McGonigal

I knew this lady had to be great even before I went because Claire said, "Oh my gosh, Kim, you are sooooo luckyyyy!!  You get to see Jaaaaanneeee!"  :)

Jane specializes in gaming in education.  She is brilliant.  I loved what she had to say. One of the key things I came away with was this:


In her research, she found that gamers experience the above positive emotions, and these can help to create what she calls "super-empowered, hopeful individuals" who are goal-oriented and feel that they can overcome their challenges.  I thought back on when I played games, and it's true, I felt many of these emotions. 

I would like it if KSDL could incorporate more game-oriented activities to engage learners of all ages.  The games and interactivity in the digital Pauahi book was a great step for our young keiki, and it would be awesome if we can build on that and create even more game-based activities through which our learners will have a meaningful experience and journey of discovery.

This is one of the games Jane created called Evoke.  From her blog:

EVOKE is an online game designed to teach collaboration, creativity, knowledge networking, entrepreneurship, courage, resourcefulness, sustainability, and vision.

Our goal: to empower young people all over the world, and especially in Africa, to start tackling the world’s toughest problems: poverty, hunger, sustainable energy, water security, conflict, disaster relief, health care, education, human rights.


EVOKE trailer (a new online game) from Alchemy on Vimeo.


Iron Chef ISTE

The other session that I surprisingly found myself pretty immersed in was this twist on the show, Iron Chef.  I love the show, so I thought I'd just pop in and check out the session.  I shamefully admit I wasn't intending to really do anything (you guys know how it is at conferences!), but somehow I found myself in this group and with these people who really wanted to do it, so I ended up sacrificing sessions to meet with my group and reading over scripts in the late evening.  Here's a photo of my groupmates:

Team GPath

Instructions:

  • Use our ingredients to create a tasty ed tech concoction
  • Step1 : Choose your challenge
  • Step 2: Form teams
  • Step 3: choose your ingredients
  • Step 4: start cooking
  • Step5: Present your concoctions
  • Rubric - judged on taste - all ingredients thoroughly addressed, originality - is it innovative  and scalable, presentation - wow factor; are you engaging the audience
Our Challenge

  • Corporate Dinner Challenge: You're developing a new app to help teachers solve a specific problem.  Pitch your idea.
  • Ingredients - Global competencies; 9-12 grade
  • Target audience: Venture capitalists looking to fund the company; also presenting it to teachers; wow factor is getting the teachers excited too; show it is a need and show it would be useful to teachers; not necessarily to make money
  • Problem: High school students and adults don't have the entrepreneurial skills needed for success. 
  • App: Create an app that helps teachers guide students in defining their passion, finding their inspiration, developing skill sets, and journey on a path to entrepreneurship. 
  • Global competency: Entrepreneurship

We didn't win, but I built relationships with these people, made connections, and one of the ladies I met is even taking our Ka Na‘i Aupuni course in July!  This is what we're trying to do in our programs guys!!  Let's do it!

The last thing I want to note is that I really admired the folks from the Young Educators Network (I joined them on Facebook), who said to themselves, there is a problem at these conferences where we all just sit in these lecture sessions and we all know that's not really the best way to learn, so let's do something out of the box and get people involved in this session and create dialogue and connections and all the rest of that good stuff education is supposed to do.  :)


Mahalo for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schools of the Future: Acquiring and Representing Knowledge

This year's Schools of the Future conference was an information-rich event. When we think of the future, more than a few of us probably also think of technology. That association certainly carries over in the interpretation of the conference title Schools of the Future . Indeed, many topics besides educational technology were covered; however, the technological advances were a strong highlight at the conference in my view. As mentioned in one of Cassie's previous posts , there are online classes everywhere. The first few links on my list reference ways to learn on your own (i.e., ways to acquire knowledge). The second set of links refer to ways of representing knowledge. **Note:  All icons link to the affiliated website.  Academic Earth has hundreds of free online lectures from prominent university professors, including Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, The University of Houston, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Michigan State, Princeton, Rice, UCLA, UCSF, and the list

Geotagging

A "wouldn't it be nice" idea that's been around a while is the ability to tag a map with images that are linked to more information about the site. Kelly C suggested it as a way for students to share knowledge about a cultural/historic site or the geographic area they live in with classmates. (right, no addresses!) There are now cameras and even storage media that embed latitude and longitude into images as they are shot. But you don't need fancy new toys to do this. I tried Flickr's geotagging map and it's fun and supereasy. Want to try it? Log in to Flickr http://www.flickr.com Sign in as " techedine " password " wist101 " yea, corny. Click the " You " tab then the " Your Photostream > Map " or Organize > Your Map links. Click the Satellite link in the upper right. Cool view! (you may need Google Satellite downloaded). Images along the bottom of the screen with colored dots have already been droppe

Papa Kuʻi ʻai a me Pohaku

As part of our huakaʻi last month to Papahana Kuaola and the opportunity to work in the loʻi, I wanted to continue that thought by sharing my experience of making a papa kuʻi 'ai (poi-pounding board). In 2008 with the encouragement from me and my co-worker, Pili Wong, Earl Kawaʻa offered to teach a papa kuʻi ʻai papa to those of us that were interested in learning what our kūpuna did as a daily way of life. For our kūpuna they had loʻi in their yards and grew their own kalo, the major source of starch in their diet. They steamed it and pounded poi or kept it whole and sliced it and ate it like bread with butter or condensed milk. Kawaʻa was very specific on our kuleana and the commitment he required of us. Our first task was to find an au koʻi (handle) for our koʻi (adze tool). I found myself suddenly looking up at every tree I saw looking for the right branch for my koʻi. My husband found mine at a jobsite from a Haole Koa tree otherwise known as the Leucaena Leucocephala tree