Skip to main content

Maybe the future of online learning?


On January 30th, I attended my first virtual conference called Stepping into Science through Second Life. For those of you that are not familiar with second life, it's a completely virtual way of communicating and networking. Prior to the conference, I had to create an avatar by going to http://www.secondlife.com/join , confirming email and downloading the second life software. There was also an orientation held to make sure you knew how to navigate and use the tools such as teleporting, flying, moving, searching and so forth. The conference had many of the familiar qualities a face-to-face conference. The conference schedule existed of a Keynote speaker named Troy McConaghy who works on media projects related to science and technology. There were breakout sessions that allowed you to pick from various field trips to Genome, Astronomy, NASA, and Earth Systems. We also participated in a live segment on NPR (National Public Radio) called Science Friday. The conference closed with a Q & A segment with the panel members.

Second Life has participants from everywhere. They host many organizations that choose to do things in the virtual environment that involves virtual members. Second Life is organized into islands. Each island is a different place for members to meet. Islands can be restrictive or free. Many educational institutions do not restrict entrance to their island. Institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, NASA, NOAA all have islands. Membership to Second Life is supposed to be restricted by age. You have to be 18 to have membership, but I don't recall inputting my age. Although there are islands that are for younger students called Teen Grid. In addition to educational institutions, many museums are beginning to create these virtual environments as tours.

One of the most powerful things I learned in this conference is the ability to create a virtual environment more authentic to the learner than a face-to-face classroom. I went on a field trip to Genome hosted by a lady from Northern Michigan University. The picture I chose to use for this blog shows some of the capability of virtual worlds. Here you have a model of a prokarytic cell. As members on this island, you can enter the cell. You can see all the cell organelles and be able to click on them as they float by you and learn about each organelle. This particular cell is designed as close to a real animal cell as possible so that you're experiencing the cell environment accurately depicted. The only way to exit this cell is by exocytosis, the real way things pass out of cells.

To try these things for yourself, you should take a few minutes to create a Second Life account by creating an avatar: http://www.secondlife.com/join

After you are in Second Life, I can send you SLURLS to teleport you to some of the sites that are available to use. This is because the links only work within Second Life. A note card with links can be sent to you to direct for islands that I would recommend.

I think I've written enough...I'll tell you more in the VSDL meeting.

Comments

Christy said…
I spent some time installing the program (wouldn't work on my Windows machine) but I finally got in. I can see what Clinton said about the motion sickness factor. There's a very fine line for me when I start to navigate. So far I browsed some educational sites, tried to update my clothing and visited the Eiffel tower. There are probably many educational uses so it's just finding the right place to direct students.
Kelly D. said…
Mahalo Komarey for sharing your Second Life experiences! I went in and it took me a while to figure out how to navigate. I plunged into the ocean and went for an unintentional swim. Of course, I tried to change my outfits a few times, too. I can totally see how students would be motivated to interact in this virtual world. I can also imagine how much more engaging it could be to do online learning activities that normally would be difficult to accomplish like labs and even virtual field trips. Looking forward to visiting the educational sites as a group tomorrow.
Kelly

Popular posts from this blog

Schools of the Future: Acquiring and Representing Knowledge

This year's Schools of the Future conference was an information-rich event. When we think of the future, more than a few of us probably also think of technology. That association certainly carries over in the interpretation of the conference title Schools of the Future . Indeed, many topics besides educational technology were covered; however, the technological advances were a strong highlight at the conference in my view. As mentioned in one of Cassie's previous posts , there are online classes everywhere. The first few links on my list reference ways to learn on your own (i.e., ways to acquire knowledge). The second set of links refer to ways of representing knowledge. **Note:  All icons link to the affiliated website.  Academic Earth has hundreds of free online lectures from prominent university professors, including Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, The University of Houston, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Michigan State, Princeton, Rice, UCLA, UCSF, and the list

Geotagging

A "wouldn't it be nice" idea that's been around a while is the ability to tag a map with images that are linked to more information about the site. Kelly C suggested it as a way for students to share knowledge about a cultural/historic site or the geographic area they live in with classmates. (right, no addresses!) There are now cameras and even storage media that embed latitude and longitude into images as they are shot. But you don't need fancy new toys to do this. I tried Flickr's geotagging map and it's fun and supereasy. Want to try it? Log in to Flickr http://www.flickr.com Sign in as " techedine " password " wist101 " yea, corny. Click the " You " tab then the " Your Photostream > Map " or Organize > Your Map links. Click the Satellite link in the upper right. Cool view! (you may need Google Satellite downloaded). Images along the bottom of the screen with colored dots have already been droppe

Zoho Creator

I thought I’d share this web application I came across in my quest to find a relatively simple app to help us manage our mentoring data in the DL Orientation. Our specific needs were that it be a free online database, password protected, had the capability of rapid form development without too much programming knowledge and was easy for the end user to use. The application that met these requirements was Zoho Creator ( http://www.zohocreator.com/ ) a part of a suite of online applications including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, wikis, organizers and more. What’s great about Zoho Creator is that they have an online repository of applications already developed that you can download to your account and use for free. Initially, I tried some of these applications, but it was overkill for our needs. Zoho Creator can do a lot if you know programming and they have a pay model where it allows you more flexibility and features. I think Zoho Creator would be a useful tool for both